Sunday, September 30, 2012
For some men, lower energy levels, decreased libido, weight gain, decreased strength, and depression become more common in their 30's and 40's as testosterone levels decline. This has been referred to as andropause or "man-o-pause".
For those who suspect they are suffering from low levels of testosterone, they can go to a physician for a blood test which can test for this. Some men end up having hormone replacement therapy, and their doctor prescribes injections, patches, or creams, but it may be possible to increase your testosterone levels naturally without having to pay for prescription therapy or having the side effects associated with hormone replacement therapy by doing the following:
1. Exercise-being active can boost your testosterone. It is especially helpful if you lift heavy weights- Lifting weights that you can only lift for 4-6 repetitions is one way to increase the intensity of your workout and boost testosterone production.
2. Get Enough rest. Everyone has different sleep needs, but most people do best with at least 8 hours per night. You have to give your body time to rest and recuperate in order for it to function properly, so a sleep deprived body will have a harder time producing hormones.
3. Improve your diet. Reduce your refined sugar consumption and cut back on highly processed foods. Eating whole foods and eliminating junk food can make a big difference in your body's ability to function properly.
4. Reduce Stress- Excessive stress will eventually overwork your adrenal glands and can throw your hormones out of balance.
5. Eat more healthy fats. We need to remember that fats are essential to good health. Reduce saturated and trans fats and replace them with healthy fats like almonds, fish oils, olive oil, avocados, etc. It is also wise to make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet.
6. Watch your vitamins and minerals. Make sure you are getting sufficient micro nutrients (vitamins and minerals) in your diet. It can make it more difficult for your body to produce testosterone if your diet is deficient in zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B or D.
My final suggestion and the cheapest and easiest way I have found to boost your testosterone is to just watch The Expendables 2 trailer each morning when you start your day.
The aging process can slowly sneak up on us, and there is no simple fountain of youth. Hormone replacement therapy may be an option for some people, and your physician can help you determine this but, before you go that route, you should make sure you are doing your part by following the six simple steps listed above.
Wednesday, September 19, 2012
If a little of something is good, then alot must be better, right? Not necessarily. That mentality can back fire on you when it comes to supplements, nutrition, weight loss, exercise, and body image.