Below I have listed some things that will help you recover faster from injuries.
1. Apply first aid immediately- After you are injured.remember the acronym R.I.C.E.. It stands for rest, ice, compression, and elevation. A sprained ankle will heal much faster if you immediately ice it and elevate it, then bandage it with an ace bandage.. Ibuprofen can also help with the pain and reduce inflammation.
2. Seek proper medical attention- I know going to the doctor is no fun but a physician can properly diagnose the severity of an injury. I've known people who have limped around for weeks on stress fractures because they thought it was just a strain or sprain and never got it checked out.
3. REST!- Take it easy until you get better. (I am the ultimate hypocrite when it comes to this. I am currently scheming on how I am gong to be able to play in next week's basketball game). If you don't allow your body time to heal it will likely get worse. If your are concerned about deconditioning, find an alternate form of exercise you can do. If you are unable to run, look at cycling, walking, or swimming or some other low impact activity you can still do that won't affect your injury.
4. Use a physical therapist- I have had some serious ankle sprains over the years I usually just let them heal on their own, but whenever I have gone to a physical therapist, I have been absolutely amazed at how much quicker recovery time is. I highly recommend using a physical therapist to help speed up the time it takes to recover from injuries.
5. Proper nutrition- Eating right is important since your body is rebuilding and repairing itself with the raw materials you consume. Are you building a house of bricks or a house of straw with your diet?
6. Get sufficient sleep- This is also important so your body can heal. If you are sleep deprived and stressed, your recovery will be take longer.
7. Prevention- Ease back into exercise slowly after an injury. Wear braces or support equipment if you have previously injured a body part. Try not to work out when you are exhausted since that can make you more vulnerable to injury.
Being injured is never a fun experience, but there are things you can do minimize the down time and help you with a speedy recovery. I just wish I had the Bacta Tank that Luke Skywalker used to heal quicker in The Empire Strikes Back. My triathlon efforts may have been slightly delayed as I limp and shuffle over the next several days but I am still going to finish the challenge this month!